Mr. Winiker is an experienced trial attorney who defends individuals and businesses in State and Federal white-collar and other criminal cases. He counsels clients in pre-trial negotiations with the United States Department of Justice, counsels clients under investigation by the FBI, IRS, Homeland Security, SEC and other federal and state agencies. He regularly defends people charged with felony and misdemeanor crimes in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, including traffic matters. He also counsels clients who are potentially subject to Federal asset forfeiture actions and other civil regulatory investigations including health care.
He is a former federal and state prosecutor and is admitted to practice in North Carolina, the United States District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of North Carolina, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Ninth Circuits.
He is a graduate of Wake Forest University – Gonzaga University School of Law, cum laude – and is a U.S. Army veteran who served in the Persian Gulf War.
- Leaders in the Law honoree 2018
- Vice-chair Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Commission 2017 – present
- Founding Board Member, Greenways for Mecklenburg foundation 2017-present
- Co-chair of Mecklenburg County Advisory councils: Greenway & Central District 2015-present
- Board member and former president Chantilly Neighborhood Association 2014-present
- Mecklenburg County Bar Finance Committee and Bar Value task Force 2015-present
- 2016 Winner of City of Charlotte Crown Tree Award for tree canopy advocacy